I’m an observant person. I watched the traffic cams get installed by TDOT. For a long I have intended to call TDOT and ask, "are those cameras available to the public?" Ironically, being a web guy, I never bothered looking online until one of the local news stations mentioned the 75 cameras are online (though by my count I only see 66). Have a look at a picture of a TDOT SmartWay camera.
Additional information about the TDOT $20 million SmaryWay system is available including cameras statewide and information about Tennessee 511 a service that provides traffic information from any phone. TDOT is also in Alabama.
From the Smartway FAQ:
Other benefits include:
- Providing live video to local television stations that is used during their rush hour traffic reports
- Website access to current construction and incident information.
- Shorter crash response time by emergency response agencies including TDOT HELP trucks
- Using the system to assist in AMBER ALERTS
- Radio reports of current construction and incident information available on the highway advisory radio (HAR) system.
- Use of the system to complement Homeland Security evacuation plans
Now when you want to leave the house you can check to see if I-40 is jammed or not!