* Just received word from a good friend that a position I applied for locally will probably turn into a job interview. Crossed fingers.
* Anxiously awaiting my 2nd phone interview for a contract job that would have me away from my family the better part of 6 months. Yuck.
* Art computer lost the brush plugin for Illustrator. This nice piece I made last night now can’t be used. Ugh. Reboot and the machine hangs. The laptop is just sloooow. And now every time I flip between machines on the analog switch box I lose the keyboard on the XP machine and can only get it back by logging into a non-administrative account (without a password) then log out of that account and back into the administrative account. Time for some food.
8:00 am Kids are off to school. Oops. Must give medicine to the home schooler and then prepare for my phone interview.
It’s cold as all get out! I so need to fire up the wood stove but none of the wood is split; I can’t afford to buy split wood; and the flue hasn’t been inspected in 2 years.
A New Day!
Let’s start the day off with a PayPal donation link:
* After declaring zzs last night I proceeded to stay up until 1:30 working on my design concept for a site that I hope will produce money for me although I have failed to follow my business plan and launch ahead of my competition
* Woke 10 year old half an hour ago to have her finish her school work. Now grabbing another 30 minutes of sleep against my better judgement. I should be greeting the day with stretching exercise or work.
* pondering zzzs – Should work on a website..
* Went upstairs to help the 10 year old finish a long term project for school. Told wife she was tired and snippy then proceeded to let the tone of her voice set me off at which point I became angry and now I feel like crap.
* Finished marketing brochure for a unique market. Hopefully this is a nice angle.
* Hind quarters getting sore. Have now applied online to one job possibility and signed up with another recruiter. A good friend helped search out several others and has inspired me to barage people with resumes and cover letters at a rapid pace. Must break for coffee and maybe a brief bit of reading. I am disappointed that I did not get marketing materials out today. I’m detecting a pattern since I’ve been trying to get these into the right hands since before Christmas–fear? procrastination? ambivalence? decision through lack of decision?
* Sent 3 marketing emails to other web developers in the area – hopefully this will at least help get my name out a bit
* Did some brain stimulation by helping to solve someone else’s problem online – no avail – tis still broke
* Update domain information and set up 2 more domains with my host and setup email so that I could send marketing email with the correct viral marketing. Tis silly to ask your competitors to use you as a sub when your website says you compete with them.
I love my time with my kids. Getting ready for bedtime is the best with baby in lap reading stories to each other. First I read to her, then she reads to me. I need more such quality time with the older ones. The 10 year old is grousing over an unfinished long term project. I fear we are reinforcing her procrastination. Must work on that. The 13 year old is in the bath going on 1.5 hours now. And the 7 year old is lying in bed reading (and sneaking play time with the Playmobile). He’s an angel!
* MBNA Collectors called. Asked for $100 some odd then reduced it to $53 when I said “no can do”. Then when I said “nothing to give” they also jumped on the “can’t you borrow it from someone” bandwagon. Due date Jan 8.
* kids fed – time flying – not having fun
The next 1.5 hours will be spent getting the kids to bed. No work will get done.
* helping kids with school work, updating laptop, and working on marketing materials
* Several phone calls to area developers to market my subcontracting
* Call to Small Business Development Center for information on new businesses in the area
* Had to take 7 year old back to school for forgotten supplies and to Honey Baked Ham to cash in a gift certificate on food to help us survive until Friday
* Trying to finish marketing flyer
* Worked on a new marketing flyer this morning. Looking good. Plan on mass distributing it beginning this afternoon
* Took son to psychologist for his weekly appointment. Roughly 1.5 weeks worth of medicine left (note to self, budget $35 for refills)
* Several calls to other local developers to market my consulting services to them
* Call to head hunter to see how many people are fighting over my resume–got voicemail
* Lied down to rest and brainstorm (hide). Deep sleep.
* Sears called seeking blood from a turnip. Due date Jan 25 Past due currently $72. Collector asks “Can’t you borrow some money to avoid the late fee?” My thought “No, I may need to borrow money to feed my family!”
* Current fear… NBC will close my checking account if I don’t show activity in it soon