Let me reach out to the community for a moment. I’m trying to deliver a movie to be played in a web browser. The movie must play in Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8, Firefox and Safari. The movie sits on a LAMP box. The movie is roughly 35MB windows media (WMV). jQuery is available. The challenge: Deliver the movie to the client without the client impatiently clicking the play button repeatedly (elevator syndrome), reloading the page, or giving up and leaving. This implies some sort of progress bar or loading spinner. I can’t seem to get a loader to work to save my life.
- Various attributes on the object and embed tags
- Using jQuery plugins like jQuery Media plugin and jMedia
- Looked into other players and ruled out Flowplayer and SWFObject2
- Tried getting Ajaxy but the document finishes before the movie completely downloads and the spinner quits too early.
- I’m testing WVX streaming right now but it’s not looking good.
- Some other stuff
The goal is simple: Take a large wmv movie and present a loading indicator until the movie is cached in the user’s browser. This one is giving me a real hard way to go.