"Murphy was an optimist!"
Hump Day October 1, 2014 9:56 amPosted by Doug McCaughan in : Daily Life, Philosophy, Poetry
My inner middle schooler likes the middle of the week. This time of year, the walk to my son’s bus stop is dark. Jupiter shines in the sky but clouds obscure other heavenly bodies. The muscadine grapes have ripened to perfection. I accidentally knock one to ground. Pity. The weather is beautiful yet a storm threatens. The distance rumble of clouds and chaos are apparent only to me for the storm that threatens is in my head. I fend it off by building a high pressure system of calm and positive thinking. The storm, a low pressure system, moves further into the distance; at bay, yet ever present, waiting for other systems to build. And Jupiter shines in the calm skies.add a comment
Morning fog October 1, 2014 8:21 amPosted by ifthis thenthat in : Daily Life
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/prHgEh
The dot toward the top of the picture is Jupiter October 1, 2014 7:18 amPosted by ifthis thenthat in : Daily Life
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/ptFqCL
Knoxville sunset September 29, 2014 8:08 pmPosted by ifthis thenthat in : Daily Life
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/pqvB4Y
Typical Monday September 29, 2014 8:54 amPosted by Doug McCaughan in : Daily Life
- Philips HUE lights fade on at 5:30 am.
- I curse the day
- Turn off Philips HUE lighting and reset light alarm for 5:55 am.
- 5:55am curse the day
- Let the dog(s) out
- Wake the kids
- Feed the cats
- Feed the kids
- Tell the kids, "Dad is going to get dressed" which they know means "Dad is going to sleep another 20 minutes."
- Wake up and curse the day
- Take one child to the bus stop
- Return home and make sure the other child goes to the bus stop
- Curse the day
- Drive to work
- Pass the elementary school and bemoan it’s transition from academic institution to penitentiary due to 9/11 fears (have commentary with self about the terrorists winning)
- Turn on NPR to hear more commentary about humans hating humans
- Drive to Starbucks and observe the escalation of the parking lot wars between Starbucks and Shell and let commentary run in head about how a cooperative approach could net them both more business but instead they are hurting each other because humans
- Curse myself for buying breakfast instead of making an economical breakfast at home and not bringing my lunch
- Drive toward work and mentally berate self
- Get to work exhausted and ponder why Monday’s suck
Dogs and cats cohabitation (and I own no couch) September 28, 2014 7:24 pmPosted by ifthis thenthat in : Daily Life
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/pryRfR
From the mouths of jobs September 28, 2014 3:20 pmPosted by Doug McCaughan in : Daily Life, Evan, Family, From the mouths of babes, Of Being Dad
Evan, bemoaning tomorrow being a school day.
Dad: "I’ll switch with you. You go to work for me and I’ll go to school for you."
Evan: "Ok. I’ll go and ask them to fire me. Then I’ll get a fun job like Chuck E Cheese or Sonic!"
Have you ever felt despair? September 28, 2014 10:55 amPosted by Doug McCaughan in : Daily Life, Deep Thoughts, Health, Mental, Philosophy
So I’m feeling a little down. Well, a lot down. Something uplifting for me is reading. So, I’m reading the Dresden Files. Jim Butcher’s first book in the series is Storm Front. I open to chapter 18 and read:
add a comment
Have you ever felt despair? Absolute hopelessness? Have you ever stood in the darkness and known, deep in your heart, in your spirit, that it was never, ever going to get better?…
[Source, Storm Front (Dresden Files), Chapter 18]
State of me September 28, 2014 8:35 amPosted by Doug McCaughan in : Daily Life
Paralyzedadd a comment
Of Grasshoppers September 27, 2014 8:52 pmPosted by Doug McCaughan in : Of Grasshoppers, Philosophy
Student: Am I a good person?
Master: Who would know?
Timed maze September 27, 2014 2:54 pmPosted by ifthis thenthat in : Daily Life
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/p8QXha
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/pqiWYh
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/ppp2aD
Mr Peabody’s feline cousin September 26, 2014 8:04 pmPosted by ifthis thenthat in : Daily Life
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/p8bUWd
Greekfest September 26, 2014 5:49 pmPosted by ifthis thenthat in : Daily Life
via Flickr http://flic.kr/p/pnz7aq